Probiotics are supplements which help with toenail fungus, other fungal infections, and a myriad of other health concerns. However, choosing the best probiotics for toenail fungus can be problematic. This article will explore toenail fungus, its causes, symptoms and the best probiotics for treatment.
What is toenail fungus?
Toenail fungus is an infection that gets in through cracks in your nail or cuts in your skin. It can make your toenail change color or get thicker.
This condition begins as a white or yellow spot under the tip of your fingernail or toenail. As the fungal infection goes deeper, nail fungus may cause your nail to discolor, thicken and crumble at the edge. It can affect several nails.
Causes of toe fungus
More than one type of fungi can affect the toenails. Dermatophytes (a type of mold) cause most toenail fungal infections.
Dermatophytes are fungal microorganisms (too tiny to see with the naked eye). These bacteria grow in moist environments. They feed off of keratin, a protein found in your fingernails and toenails. Keratin makes nails hard.
Symptoms of toenail fungus
You may have nail fungus if one or more of your nails are:
- Whitish to yellow-brown discoloration
- Brittle, crumbly or ragged
- Distorted in shape
- A dark color, caused by debris building up under your nail
- Smelling slightly foul
Best probiotics for toenail fungus
These are the best probiotic supplement that can help with toenail fungus, other fungal infections, and a myriad of other health concerns.
The supplement must be natural and designed to support your immune system with the right blend of live bacteria.
Optimum Probiotics: Deep Immune System Support
Some probiotics are marketed specifically toward a certain age or gender. The good thing about Optimum Probiotics is that it’s made for everyone. It offers immune system support, as well as:
- Stomach acid protection
- Introduction of good bacteria
- The pushing away of bad bacteria
This Optimum Probiotics supplement works within minutes, not over time, like some others. Your body will naturally be able to fight off a fungal infection that much better.
Not only do these probiotics introduce good bacteria into your system, but this particular supplement pushes out the bad bacteria. With a strong immune system and good bacteria working from within, you’ll have a strong defense against fungus.
Hyperbiotics PRO-15 Probiotics
It contains 15 strands of probiotics and has a time-release formula. That means that your body will be introduced to the right kind of bacteria. With that particular method of delivery, the bacteria can bypass your stomach acids and go straight to your intestinal tract. The benefits of this method include:
- Increased energy levels
- Elevated mood
- Optimal digestive health
- Balanced bacteria makeup that can lead to an ideal body weight
Garden of Life Whole Food Probiotic Supplement
If you’re not getting your probiotics from food, Garden of Life may be the next best thing. With 13 different strands of good bacteria, this whole food blend promotes a healthy internal environment. Some of its benefits include:
- Better nutrient absorption
- Immune support
- Promotion of healthy digestion
What’s important here is the boost in nutrient absorption. While vitamin deficiencies are rarely associated with fungal infections, having the right vitamins in your system can help to weaken the fungus’ symptoms
This can promote healing, and others can strengthen the nail, even if they’re brittle. The faster and more effectively your body can absorb nutrients, the better
How to prevent toenail fungus
- Wash your hands and feet regularly. Wash your hands after touching an infected nail. Moisturize your nails after washing.
- Trim nails straight across, smooth the edges with a file and file down thickened areas. Disinfect your nail clippers after each use.
- Wear sweat-absorbing socks or change your socks throughout the day.
- Choose shoes made of materials that breathe.
- Discard old shoes or treat them with disinfectants or antifungal powders.
- Wear footwear in pool areas and locker rooms.
- Choose a nail salon that uses sterilized manicure tools for each customer.
- Give up nail polish and artificial nails