Eggs are a versatile and most nutritious foods on the planet. A whole egg contains all the nutrients required to turn a single cell into a baby. Many people enjoy them fried, boiled, scrambled, or baked. This article will discuss the nutrition value of boiled egg.
Hard-Boiled Egg Nutrition Facts
The following nutrition information is provided by the USDA for one large hard-boiled egg. One large hard-boiled egg contains:
- Calories: 78
- Total fat: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg
- Sodium: 62 mg
- Carbs : 0.6 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Added sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Choline: 147mg
Health Benefits of Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease: The cholesterol in egg increases your body’s HDL level. High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is a “good” cholesterol that helps to remove other forms of cholesterol from your bloodstream and it’s linked with health benefits like reducing risk of heart attack and stroke, according to the AHA. Therefore, eating an egg a day may even help reduce your risk of heart disease, according to a May 2018 paper published in the British Medical Journal.
- Weight loss : Hard-boiled eggs are an excellent source of lean protein. They’ll fill you up without packing in too many calories, which is helpful if you want to lose weight.
- Protect the eyes. Eggs are also high in the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which help protect our eyes from macular degeneration thus a age-related loss of vision
- Better Cognitive Function. The choline in eggs good for cellular maintenance and growth, and hard-boiled eggs are the top source of it in diet. Egg yolks are the most concentrated source of choline in diets.
How to Boil Eggs
Here’s how the American Egg Board recommends preparing hard-boiled eggs:
- Place your eggs in a pot of cool water and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water boils, remove the pot from the heat and allow your eggs to rest in the boiled water.
- Cover the pot. As long as you keep the eggs in a covered pot, they should cook just by sitting in the water.
- Let the eggs stand in the water.
How Long to Keep in Boiled Water
Extra-Large – 15 minutes
Large -12 minutes
Medium- 9 minutes