Lung disease is any problem in the lungs that prevents the lungs from working properly. They are the most common medical conditions in the world. Lung disease can happen when there are problems in any part of this system. People normally ask “ what are the diseases of the lungs?”
This article will look at the most common lung diseases, their symptoms, and how to protect your lungs.
Types of lung diseases
Lung diseases can be categorized into three types. These are ;
- Airway diseases
- lung tissue diseases
- lung circulation diseases
Airway diseases: These diseases affect the tubes that carry oxygen and other gases into and out of the lungs. It makes it difficult for people to breathe in regards to airflow in and out of the lungs using the airways.
Lung tissue diseases affect the structure of the lung tissue. When the lungs scar or inflame, the tissue makes the lungs unable to expand fully and make it difficult for the lungs to work properly and diffuse oxygen from the airways into the bloodstream.
Lung circulation diseases affect the blood vessels in the lungs. They are caused by clotting, scarring, or inflammation of the blood vessels. It affects the way blood flows from the heart to the rest of the body in order to deliver oxygen to the organs and tissues.
The most common lung diseases include:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Chronic bronchitis
- Acute bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary embolism(PE)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Lung cancer
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Autoimmune disease
Some common symptoms of these lungs diseases.
- A frequent wheezing and coughing
- Tightness in the chest
- Shortness or difficulty breathing
- Sensitivity to respiratory infections like colds or the flu
- weakness and Weight loss
- Chest pain
To protect yourself from getting these chronic lung disease, practice these tips:
- Do not smoke, or quit smoking.
- Reduce exposure to pollutants in the environment, at work, and in your home.
- Exercising regularly. Aerobic exercise that increases your heart rate is best.
- Eat hearty-healthy diet.
- Regular checkups with a doctor is important
- If you’re at risk for lung cancer, ask a doctor about screening options.
- Wash your hands regularly and avoid touching your face.
- Protect against infection by staying away from individuals who are sick.